Thursday, March 20, 2008

Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me


I admit, this one pretty much just fell into my lap, thanks in part to my sister's desire for a pie. See, there is this local woman, we'll call her Marlene S. who is known around town for her Shoo Fly Pie. Shoo Fly, for those not in the know is a molasses bottomed pie, and since Marlene's more dry than wet, hers is kind of like a coffee cake in texture and crumb. In the Shoo Fly world, there are two distinct camps, "wet-bottom"and "dry-bottom", both are equally delicious and taste the same, the wet bottom ones simply have more goo than their dry bottom counterparts. Shoo Fly is quite traditional in the part of Pennsylvania I grew up in, this part of Southeastern PA is populated by many who are ancestors of the Pennsylvania German and Mennonites.


Unfortunately, I neglected to get a picture of the entire pie. It has been sampled by two persons at this point, thankfully its present state has been photographed for posterity, as the pie will likely be gone by the weekend. Personally, I don't care much for Shoo Fly, preferring another PA German standby - Funny Cake. Funny Cake isn't even a pie I guess. It's baked in a pie tin, so I guess one could classify it as pie, but it is distinctly cake-y in texture. Perhaps I've found my next blog entry . . .

No comments: