Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Crafty, Crafty

Well, not really, but I have to keep the kids busy somehow this summer. So yesterday I woke up in the mood to do a craft project or two with them. It's a challenge, because Natalie isn't one for letting you prepare for anything. She's constantly hounding and asking questions and chattering along, and really people, it's tiring. I don't mean to come across as impatient, I'm not, but she's one to push buttons, that's all I'm saying. Anywho, I browsed http://www.joann.com/ and Highlights for Kids (thank GOD for my mother who sent me that link, and then another one, http://www.activitytv.com/, which is kind of lame, but that's where we found the flip flop idea. Of course, going out to the fabric store, and then Target and getting something to eat for lunch (I did NOT get a shaken iced tea from Starbucks and I really should have) took up most of the day, but we did get the flip flops made, and the glue dried over night.






We got our flip flops at the aforementioned Joann store, which has them on sale now for $1.33/pair. Actually, they have all their kids' craft stuff on sale now, for 40% off I think. We headed over to the notions/trims section and Garrett picked out the black & white checkerboard print and Natalie picked out the pink & green pom-poms, the trims were $1.99/yard each, and I bought 2/3 of a yard of each (2 feet). Garrett was going for a race car motif to his, but they didn't have any race car buttons, so he has a blue car and a red airplane (it could be a rocket too, I can't really tell) on his flip flops. Natalie opted for green hearts, but they had some big fake diamonds that would be awesome if you wanted to spend $10 on them, which I did not. I just used a tacky glue to glue the ribbon/trim down with, but I imagine hot glue would work just as well. You'll want to heat the cut ends of the trim so they won't fray, or use something like fray check if you can't heat the ends. Oh, and we took glitter glue and put that on the sides of the flip flops, just a thin line and spread it out with a finger, of course that is optional, but kids like glitter. I'm sure Shane won't appreciate that his son has glittery flip flops, but that's HIS problem, not MINE. :-D

Ok, there's my cheap craft idea for this week. Since today the weather was so nice, it's supposed to get hot & humid again tomorrow, we went to the playground today. All was fine until Garrett smacked some kid, and he (Garrett) then had a big, massive tantrum, so we left, after apologizing and making sure the little boy was ok. I'm the mother to an apparent bully. :-X

1 comment:

SuperMom said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Glad to know you!