Wednesday, June 18, 2008

WWYD?

Yes, you. Feel free to tell me what you'd do in comments. Anywho.

We have this big picnic table, given that we no longer have the room for it, we decided to sell it. Put ads on Craigslist and www.kajiji.com, as well as in the local pennysaver. It's a great table, in excellent condition, yadda, yadda, yadda. I got a few nibbles here and there but nothing fruitful ever came of them. So I get the bright idea to list the sucker on eBay, with local pick up as the ONLY option for getting the table. I didn't really think I'd get a bidder, but I figured it was at least worth a shot. Lo and behold, I did get a bidder, and the auction closed and voila, I thought the table was sold. Contact the bidder and as it turns out, he's in CA. Argghh! He was quite apologetic though and we just mutually agreed to cancel the transaction, I got my final value fee back and he did not get a non-paying bidder strike against him since it was all just a mistake. He even offered me $50 for my trouble, but I didn't feel like that was necessary and I politely declined his offer. This was Saturday (6/14).

Last night (6/17) I checked my emails before I went to bed as I would normally do, and there's an email from PayPal telling me that the guy has sent me an instant payment, and it's far more than the $50 he initally offered, and I had turned it down anyway, so WHY is he sending me money? I'm not a paranoid person normally, but I'm so afraid that this is somehow going to come back to bite me in the ass. After conferring with the loopies, I sent him a quick email, I figured really that he mistakenly sent me $150, but really, who does that? Fortunately for me, he's got an AOL email addy so I put a return receipt requested on the email and sent it off. Didn't hear back from him, checked my sent mail status tonight and I see that he's deleted my email. Ok, WTF? Yes I KNOW I'm not supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this does seem so unusual, right? I don't want to come across as bragging, but maybe this is Karma calling, repaying me for a previous good work? My friend Dianne suggested that maybe he simply has money that he wants to share.

So, dear readership, however small you may be, I pose the question to you. What would you do?

1 comment:

Regi S. said...

You know anyone reading this is saying "KEEP IT". We just don't want to be held accountable if it ends up not a good thing LOL ! So keep it and if the guy changes his mind give it back.