Monday, May 26, 2008

Wolf in the Hen House?

Today I had one of those moments that probably a lot of people across middle-class America have had at point or another, or will have at some point in the future. The realization that "That can't happen here" most certainly can. It seems as though we're about to get a new addition to our neighborhood, and it seems as though he's not going to get the warm welcome most new residents to our quiet, tree lined street typically get. You see, our prospective neighbor happens to be a registered sex offender, and it's quite disconcerting. I don't know the details, and I suspect there won't be much of an opportunity to learn the details, I'm not sure it matters a great deal one way or the other. Fact of the matter is that he was convicted, he served time (in Florida) and that he's recently registered with the Pennsylvania State Police, which is how we found out about him, via the Meagan's Law website that the state operates.
I don't know a great deal about the people he is to live with, other than that I now take their morals & values into question, as well as their use of common sense. Folks, this neighborhood is teeming with children. What kind of person of good conscience and mind would permit a relation or a friend who has a record and history of sex offense(s) against minors to reside with them?
I suppose that all I can do is be hyper-vigilant, keep an eagle eye out on my kids and every other child in this neighborhood and to teach my two children about strangers, hopefully not scaring them in the process, and hope that it's enough. Tomorrow, my sister is canvassing the neighborhood with this guy's stats and a pic, which will likely not be a popular move, but it's vital that everybody here be aware of what is about to happen.
Our neighborhood here is a little slice of heaven. Brick houses, some lovely old walnut trees here and there, the type of street where everybody knows everybody. Kids and grandkids playing in yards, backyard pool parties in the summer, a neighbor with a snow plow and another with a snowblower clearing the street and sidewalks in the winter after a snowstorm blows through. Block parties, trick or treating, laundry drying in the breeze. You can still borrow an egg or a cup of sugar from your next door neighbor here. It's not some throbbing metropolis. Many people leave their doors unlocked and their car keys in the ignition, or, if they're concerned about car theft, they'll throw their keys under the seat, or tuck them under the visor. So you hear sex offender and immediately, all those worry-free liberties you once cherised and felt okay with doing don't feel so safe any more.
Yeah, there have always been perverts, and there always will be perverts. And I should be thankful that this particular one decided to follow conditions of his parole and actually registered. Thankful, but wary. I'll update when I know more info.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure do understand your fear and concern. The best thing you can do for yourself, and encourage your neighbors to do, is to educate yourself as much as you can. There are literally hundreds of studies out now, some from researchers some from the government itself. There is a HUGE amount of information. I suggest, also that you visit the web site for Stop It Now, just google it. They have some great info on there.
Were you aware that over 90% of new child molestations are committed by first time offenders? Did you know that registered sex offenders reoffense rate is between 2-13%? Did you know that the face of the person most likely to abuse your child is found in your family photo album, not on the registry?
Things to find out- Was this person even convicted of a child crime? Was it a Romeo and Juliet offense?
Has he had treatment? ( it has been found that treatment further reduces re offense rates by at least 40%.
My final suggestion to you would be for you to very politely visit this person when the other members of his household are home and tell him that you found him on the registry and are concerned. Ask him if you can talk to him to give you peace of mind.
You may just find he is so relieved that you would approach him and give him the chance that he will tell you what ever you need to know. By doing this you will also be showing him that you know he is there and are on the look out.

Anonymous said...

The first commenter gave you some very wise advice. We should not judge every person on the registry by the few horrendous acts that the media has played over and over. Get to know more about this person. Evidence indicates that allowing an offender to lead a stable life with plenty of support and suppervision is the best way to keep him from re offending.Please be aware that the facts prove that this man is far less dangerous than a relative or close friend who may enjoy spending time alone with your child.

*~~*Inger*~~* said...

Thanks anonymous & neighbor. After a little more digging, we did found out that the family residing at that address had no idea that he put down their address as his residence. I don't know if I necessarily believe that, but for now it will have to do, kwim? Additionally, he was most recently living in a half-way house in Philadelphia, PA. Given that he's notified the state of his new address, and it's NOT the half-way house, I'm not sure what to think. It certainly doesn't seem on the up and up, though I'm trying to not judge.
You both made valid points about close family or friends, and while that applies to many out there it does not apply to my particular situation, given that my two kidlets are perpetually attached to me. ;-) lol

Anonymous said...

inger,
Good for you! That's the best way to keep them safe. Also good for you that you did more investigating. Please continue to take the time to learn more about sex offences and sex offenders.
There are some really sick people out there, but most are not dangerous. I am not sayin to ask him to babysit LOL. If these situations are handled with smarts and good judgement, it often turns out to be not that big of a deal. Sounds like you are the kind of person who uses both!
God Bless

Anonymous said...

I also understand your concerns, however unfounded they may be.
My next questions are, do you know what your others neighbors may have in their closets? Do you know that drunk drivers injure, maim and kill more children than any other group of offenders? Do you know how many of your neighbors have DUIS on their records?
Also, what about drug users and dealers? Those who have theft and fraud in their past?
I think you see my point. Those with the "Sex Offender" label are, over 90% of the time, one time, FORMER offenders.
Please take time to know the person, regardless of your preconceived notions, before you condemn.
I ask you if you can, "Throw the fist stone"?

*~~*Inger*~~* said...

Oh, I know my neighbors well, quite well as a matter of fact. I grew up on this street, with the majority of these people. I am aware of the risks upon which drunk drivers and drug dealers and users place upon society. I can't control what they do, only I can control what I do.
Yet, I still proceed with caution around persons formerly convicted of crimes, because it's what my instinct and common sense says to do. It's not casting stones, it's being careful.