Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Piece of Cake


I'm finally getting around to this, the thought of turning on the oven to actually bake something is so off-putting, but I agreed in June to participate in this Modern Baker Blog in connection with a new cookbook coming out sometime in the coming weeks. I have an aunt who works for the publisher, and she forwarded me the information. I, in turn, passed it along to my loopy girls, I think Juli decided to go for it, maybe she'll blog about her creations.


Ok, back in June I turned 30, and I really, really, really wanted a yellow cake with chocolate frosting, but nobody freaking makes those, unless you order it in advance and nobody ordered one for me in advance. Yes, yes, yes, I KNOW I could have picked up the phone and called the bakery, or better yet, made my own darn birthday cake, but come on, I turned 30. I expected the masses to fall prostrate and kiss my feet (which were freshly pedicured that day).


Yesterday, while the kids were at Day # 3 of Science Camp, I quickly whipped together a yellow cake with chocolate frosting, killing two birds with one stone, since there just happened to be a yellow cake with chocolate frosting recipe in the copy of the manuscript I was sent and thusly satisfying my craving for cake. Unfortunately, I am unable to share the recipe with you (you'll have to buy the book), but I certainly can share pics. Enjoy!


8 comments:

Regi S. said...

OK HELLO ! I thought you turned 29 !!! Are you toying with us??? OMG Happy 30th Bday Inger ! The big 3...O, The official age of entry into the adults only section ! (you don't need that crap between 18 and 29) OK I need to leave 2 comments.

Regi S. said...

May the good lord be with you
Down every road you roam
And may sunshine and happiness
Surround you when youre far from home
And may you grow to be proud
Dignified and true
And do unto others
As youd have done to you
Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart youll always stay
Forever young, forever young
Forever young, forever young

May good fortune be with you
May your guiding light be strong
Build a stairway to heaven
With a prince or a vagabond

And may you never love in vain
And in my heart you will remain
Forever young, forever young
Forever young, forever young
Forever young
Forever young

And when you finally fly away
Ill be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell

But whatever road you choose
Im right behind you, win or lose
Forever young, forever young
Forever young ,forever young
Forever young, forever young
For, forever young, forever young

*~~*Inger*~~* said...

Thanks Regi!! Swear to God, I turned 30. :-) ROFL!!

CA Girl in 10-OC said...

Oh that looks so yummy! My mom used to always make a yellow cake with chocolate frosting and she'd drag a fork in two different directions over the frosting to make a primative basket weave pattern. Ultimate comfort food!

*~~*Inger*~~* said...

Thank you!!!!! I think it looks old-fashioned, in a sweet way. Kind of like a cake somebody's grandmother would have made in the 1940's, had she been able to get her hands on sugar, flour & milk.
I have it in the fridge now, it's too hot & humid here to keep it at room temp, the icing will melt!

Regi S. said...

My brother would back cakes from scratch when were young.He's flake the icing. It was so cool ! Like a chocolate corn flake covered cake.

Juli said...

Oooooh, yum! I LOVE yellow cakes with chocolate frosting! I so would have made you one!

*~~*Inger*~~* said...

Must be a Gemini thing Juli! ;-)